Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tungurahua


Yesterday morning, I was enjoying the morning sun with some of my co-workers from the Foundation (we often take the first hour of work to catch the warm morning rays and catch up on gossip). Thirty minutes later, things got cold ... we looked up into the sky, and a huge, black cloud was rolling in from the east. Rain? Hail? Funny Guarandinian weather?? I was hoping for rain, the corn still needs to grow more!

Another half an hour later, when I was working hard in my office, the economist (that's really what we call him "el economista") knocked on our door and told us to come out. Not rain, but ash was falling from the sky. The roof-top was covered in a layer of gray ash, and you could hear the impact against your jacked when standing in the open.

On the streets of Guarada, people hurried around with masks and cars circled the streets with loud-speakers informing people of the health concerns and recent news, Tungurahua erupted!!


So far, in Guaranda, I've experienced my first earthquakes (usually small and at night, takes me too long to even realize what they are to react in a safe and conscious fashion. I usually wake up, think, "wow, an earthquake?" and then it's over) and now my first volcano (well... ashfall).

But, no worries, this happens all the time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment