Saturday, May 29, 2010

The "P Word"

I will never use the P Word again.

The P word was used too much during my college education, way too much during Peace Corps training, and wayyy wayyy too much when PCs feel like they are "doing nothing".

(Hint: Peace Corps is not the P Word.)

As Omnibus 102 closes in on a year in country, we start to ponder our p.....s - our successes and failures. The problem with thinking and evaluating our time with the p-word, is that we have little control over them and how they turn out (during our two years, or after we leave). I came down to Ecuador thinking, or at least hoping, that I would be able to change the world after two years. Well, after 9 months in site, I've seen my share of failures, misunderstandings and frustrations. Meetings that went flop, conversations that went south, potential understandings that I found out later are completely wrong.

But, I have also realized that these set-backs are always related to the p-word. When describing my challenging days to others, when I use the p-word, my days quickly appear horrible, miserable and un-lively. I start to think of deadlines, schedules, organization, structure ... and usually, it never exists (at least in the way I look for it).

When you change this p word for another, things look up.

When I take a step back, and focus on people (I know this starts with "p" too, but don't let it confuse you, it´s not the ¨P Word¨ ... It´s the new and improved ¨P Word¨), I smile. The people I have met here make everyday amazing. The people I have met here have taught me about myself. The people I have met here have been accepting, hospitable, crazy (good, fun crazy), and encouraging. The people here have become my family. When I change my mentality to work with and through people, suddenly, my times here has been and looks increasingly successful.

This doesn´t come as a shock. It´s one of those ¨duh¨ moments. It´s the amazing people (like you) who have always turned life into living.

So, for the next year, I´m eliminating the P Word (not Peace Corps or people) from my vocabulary. I´m concentrating on faces, individual dreams and strengths. The people in my life will forever remain my sense of strength, enjoyment and freedom.

Peace Corps is a time to time to help others achieve what they want to do.
Peace Corps is a time to achieve what you want to do.
Peace Corps is a time to live.
Peace Corps is a time to pass time.
Peace Corps is my life, right now.

New Photos up!!

1 comment: