Saturday, July 18, 2009

Site Assignment!

I got my site for the next two years.... DRUM ROLLL .... I´m going to Guaranda. It´s the capital of the provence Bolivar. At our sites, we have a counterpart (to get our primary projects organized and started) and a host family (to help us adapt to the area and learn the culture). My counterpart is the organizer of an foundation who caters to developing the city. They have outlined their needs in the community, which include, youth self-esteem development, agroculture micro-enterprise development, and working with women´s community banks.

When I was told my site, my first thoughts were, ¨AWESOME ... where´s that??¨ Infact, my site is on the map and I have been told it´s a large city with a small town feel. My town is 45 minutes away from Riobama and about 4 hours from Quayaquil. Guaranda is in the Sierra, in a valley in the Andes. The city is known for it´s week long Carnaval festivities and for Pajaro Azul. They also have cheese and yogurt factories, a chocolate factor and lots of agriculture in the surrounding towns. There is a park where people stroll in at night (a place to go running!), and rock climbing in the area (a sport I will be picking up down here!). Additionally, I have heard there is internet at my work and wireless internet is available in many restaurants. There is a delicious pizza restaurant and some international restaurants.

One of the programs through the Peace Corps is World Wise Schools, an exchange program between PCVs and teachers in the US. Peace Corps Volunteers get to write about their experiences and the local culture to a class back in the US, and in exchange can develop assignments and receive letters from the students.

http://www.peacecorps.gov/wws/

I´m looking for a teacher in the US to connect with. Let me know if you or some one you know would be interested!!

Tomorrow at 6:45am I´m leaving to Guaranda for a four day visit! I´ll tell you all about it when I get back .... I love and miss you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment